update needed on software synthesizers for linux

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Sun Feb 12 10:10:10 UTC 2006

Gilles Casse wrote:
> T. Joseph CARTER writes:
>  > Unfortunately, I don't think they have prebuilt
>  > runtimes for Intel's XScale platform.
>
> The DECtalk software from Fonix is available for ARM.
> I wish to try it on a Gumstix card (so XScale) in a few weeks.
> Fonix Website: http://fonix.com

Yeah, I saw that they have a single Linux runtime license available for
$50, which isn't bad at all.  You can get 4.x or 5.x too, which is nice
since I know that some people have a preference for the older version.

The question that remains is whether or not Fonix would give me anywhere
near the $5 per unit deal in quantities as low as 300.  The adaptive tech
market is known for low sales figures.

Of course the low sales are due to the high prices, and at least in part
the high prices are our own damned fault.  Someone with a rather advanced
business degree once tried to explain this to me, but my brain was full
long before I really understood much more than that.  *grin*

--
"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act,
but a habit."