update needed on software synthesizers for linux

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Sun Feb 12 23:51:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 04:02:07PM +0530, krishnakant Mane wrote:
> I am still not clear with festival,
> is there an experienced person who has used festival for some time?
> and I have also heard that ATNT natural voices.  has any one ever used it.
> talking about dectalk, well, if it is good and 50$ per single license,
> it is good.

Fonix seems not to have a speech sample up.  Axsol does, however when I
just tried their downloads page, they have broken it:

	http://www.axsol.com/downloads.php

If you go to their main website and click on demos, the demos you will
hear are for the TripleTalk, not the DECtalk.  The demo they should have
under downloads is DECtalk Voice Sampler.  Ah!  History to the rescue:

	http://www.axsol.com/downloads/decdemo.mp3

Those voices give you an idea of what the DECtalk sounds like.  There's
one extra voice called "Val", which defaults to being identical to Paul,
but is actually a tenth voice you define using the dv command.

My understanding is that axsol uses DECtalk 5.0, though some people prefer
the older 4.6 stuff.  Fonix will sell you a license for either one, so the
choice of which to use is yours.

--
"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act,
but a habit."