Recording Streaming Audio?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Feb 13 08:26:25 UTC 2006

Hi.  I can't help you with Real files such as .rm, .ram, etc but I
can help with mp3 streams.  You can record many of them if you have
wget installed.  This isn't foolproof but works great for ACB Radio
and others I've tested.  For mms streams such as Windows Media
Player, I suggest mimms.  I'm on Debian which has a package but I
don't know about other distros.

For wget, you would do something like this.  My syntax might be off
but it gives you the idea.  Yes, you can have it read the pls file
directly as long as it only contains an http url.  If it has the
usual Winamp header, wget will complain.

wget -itest.pls -Ofile.mp3

wget http://acbradio.org:6246/ -Omainstream.mp3

I think the -O switch should be upper case but I might be
wrong.  Good luck and I hope someone has an idea for grabbing Real streams.