Need help with festival in red hat

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Tue Jan 24 06:48:56 UTC 2006

You might be using a sound card that does not properly handle mono files.
RedHat 8 is quite old now.  Esiest is to upgrade to Fedora.
You can also get alsa and install that.  That might solve your problem.
You can find out if that is your problem by having festival create a wave
file and then use sox to convert it to a two channel file
sox file.wav -c2 out.wav
then play out.wav
to see if it sounds better.
HTH