Freedom Box

Gary Wynn garywynn at sugarbeet.ultimanet.com
Wed May 24 22:48:23 UTC 2006

Freedom Box runs on M$ Windows, as well as linux.  I have the Windows
version running, and use it often.  It is an excellent alternative to
Jaws.  It has multiple parts to it--there is Freedom Box, which is a
community vaguely like AOL, in that it has forums, news, and tons of
information available  through easy to use menus.  The major difference is
that it is *all* designed to be accessible for persons who are blind, and
the information content  is set  up for that purpose--access to more than
25,000 etexts for example.

Outside of the Freedom Box network--an intranet of its own--there is FBSA.
FBSA is Freedom Box System Access, which gives speech access to the OS.
This is optimized to work with Windows, as linux has not had much
participation to date.  I am getting ready to set up  Freedom Box on my
Debian installation, but not quite there yet.

Yes, it uses the Mozilla browser, and that browser is good.  Through the
FB network, all updates are automatic--no hassle, no muss, no fuss.   The
system is stable, neospeech is great,  and it gives me the best access I
have yet had to the internet or to  all the capabilities of XP.   It works
great at the command line, for example--much like ASAP.   If one is
running JP Software's 4nt, or Take Command, it handles it just fine.

It would be great if more linux users tried the linux version and helped
to get it improved.  It lacks features, as it has no standard editor in
linux, or an equivalent of  Outlook.

Matt Campbell is one of the support/development team--a linux guru as
users of some of his previous have reason to know.  He developed
Trueplayer among other things.

One of the advantages of having the FB network is a capability of using
the browser on sites that would normally be inaccessible.  There are ways
to make such sites accessible, save the  alterations, and have them
automatically shared through the FB network--even if you later use
IE--which I mostly do not.  This makes things like Amazon accessible.
This should also be true through the linux version, as it does not depend
on the OS being run.

HTH

Gary