Information about rss reader & voice chat

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Wed May 24 23:25:12 UTC 2006

> One program to read rss feeds and another to use voice chat.

While I'm afraid I can't be of much help with the voice chat,
there are a variety of ways to read RSS feeds from the command line.

Personally, I have a my.yahoo.com page set up that allows you to
add as many RSS feeds as you want (okay, there might be some
limit, but I haven't hit it yet, and I'm pushing 30-50 or so that
I scan regularly).  It works with any console-mode browser, so
it's quite accessible and fairly easy to use.  It also integrates
other Yahoo! features such as weather, news, movie listings, etc.
Supposedly Google offers such an RSS-aggregating sort of feature
as well, but I don't know how kindly it plays with non-JavaScript
enabled browsers.

If you want a stand-alone RSS reader, there are a number of options:

Olive (written in Perl)
http://mdxi.collapsar.net/hacks/olive/

Raggle (written in Ruby)
http://www.raggle.org

There's also "newsticker.el" for RSS in emacs:
http://www.nongnu.org/newsticker/

Just a few thoughts,

-tim