good partitioning program needed

John Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Wed May 31 15:24:48 UTC 2006

I've created about a million dual boot PCs over the past year or so and I
always partition the HD with fdisk first. I boot with an oralux CD.

I don't know about Win 98 but I can tell you that Windows XP will slurp up
the entire HD unless you create a second partition. ie. Just creating a
partition for Windows that takes up half the disk won't do.
1. Boot oralux
2. run fdisk ex: fdisk /dev/hda
3. Create primary partition 1, change type to B (fat32), make active
4. Create partion 2, make type 83 (linux)
5. Save changes

Now you can install Windows into partion 1 and linux into partition 2.