Is it Possible to Build a Knoppix-Like CDROM Version of DOS?

John "Jack" Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Mon Nov 6 20:38:06 UTC 2006

Have you tried it without the drive specification? I don't think they are
necessary.

Somewhere around here, I have a CD that boots and runs the JAWS for DOS
installer.  I never got any further than that with it though.  The trick
would be to have a working version of JAWS for DOS *installed* on the CD so
it could come up talking.

Tips:
AFIK, everybody uses Bart's tools to create bootable DOS/Windows CDs.
http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

I used Bart's stools to create a bootable CD but I don't know why you
couldn't do it with the usual linux tools. Take a bootable  diskette, make
an image of it with dd, ufeed that to mkisofs.

If you intend to distribute your CD, you can't use Microsoft DOS. It is
still copyrighted. You can use FreeDOS though.  I'm not sure JAWS for DOS
works with FreeDOS though.

Have you tried some of the bootable linux CDs to see if they include kermit
or some other comm program? In fact, it might be easier to modify a linux CD
than it would be to create a DOS CD from scratch.

Useful tools are:
1. Re-writable CDs. You'll waste too many of the write-once kind.
2. PC Weasel. I guess this is an unrealistic tip because the buggers cost
$350. But what this thing does is  it acts like a video card except that it
puts it's output to a serial port built into the card.  So you can run a
terminal emulator on another PC and see/hear the output to the console of
the machine with the PC Weasel.  I don't think I could have gotten as far as
I have with my attempt to build a bootable DOS CD w/o this card.