BRLTTY question

Matthys Terblanche matthys at absamail.co.za
Sun Sep 17 13:29:07 UTC 2006

Hi,
I'm trying to get a minibraille working with Brltty 3.7.2.
I found the following problem:  The modern day machines is too fast, so the
communications go bad between the display and brltty.
I confirmed this by doing the following:
I tried the dos program for the minibraille on my oldest machine which is
unfortunatly too fast already.  When running the minibraille software, there
is no output on the display.  However, I ran a slowdown utility to bring the
processing speed down, and then the display works.
I've experimented on two computers with the bootable Oralux cd, and found
that on the slower machine the display start showing info more or less
comprihencible, but it doesn't follow any key press commands from the
display.
The result of this bad communication is that the display rappedly displays a
lot of garbage with some understandable stuff inbetween.
I downloaded brltty 3.7.2 source and got it to compile and install correctly
on a fedora instalation.
When tested with a Braille Lite, it works, but I would realy like to get the
mini braille working for it's a waste of money if it can't be utilised!
I checked through the source code of the mini braille driver spesifically,
but I assume the problem is not only there, but in the main brltty
application as well.
Has any one of you experimented with the brltty code? any pointers?  Or
should I try contacting the brltty team?
I tried contacting the guy who wrote the mini braile drivers, but he's not
at the address given any more.  In the readme he states that the drivers is
not supported any more because he don't have a minibraille any more.
I guess it will be the same if I contact the brltty team as well.  It's
going to be difficult for them to fix a problem that they can't test, that's
why I'm trying to get the energy to go through the code myself.
Any ideas wellcome.
Thanks,
Matthys Terblanche