Linux with Software Synth on Dell Enspiron2600 Laptop

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Aug 21 22:29:51 UTC 2007

Installing with grml.
1) Know how much memory the machine you have has on board because a swap
partition of double that size will be needed.
2) run either cfdisk or fdisk on the hard drive.  If you use fdisk and
    your hard drive is /dev/hda, then fdisk /dev/hda will get you started.
    Just typing cfdisk if you use that utility and it will find your hard
    drive for you.  For a basic grml install you'll need a linux partition
    which is what these utilities make by default and you''ll also need a
    swap partition type 82 of twice your memory size.  With grml the swap
    partition must not be the first partition defined grml will puke if you
    do that.  So subtract your swap partition size from your available disk
    space and that's your first partition size.  I have a laptop I
    installed grml onto this past weekend and I have 256MB of memory so my
    swap is 512MB.  The hard drive has 20GB on it and 512MB is 0.5GB so the
    (/) partition is 19512000MB.  The (t) command gets used in fdisk and
    you give it an existing partition number which was 2 after I created
    the swap partition and you give type command a hex code which was 82.
    After that w to write partitions and q to exit to grml.  Then run
    grml2hd script as root and that will get you going on the install
    process.  You need to be connected to a live internet connection while
    grml2hd runs too.  When it finishes and you've answered all of the
    questions, you need to type shadowconfig on to protect those passwords
    and edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  The line that has Port 22 on it needs
    to have the 22 removed unless you want hackers knocking over your linux
    box.  Permitrootlogin needs to be changed from yes to no, and
    X11forwarding=yes also needs to be changed to no.
After that, I recommend doing aptitude update followed by aptitude
dist-upgrade.  Once those commands have been done I recommend aptitude
install arno-iptables-firewall _R and answer the questions as they're
asked.  Your ethernet is probably eth0 and ppp+ can handle the interfaces
question.  For most of the other questions unless you have good reasons to
have specific ports open allow arno-iptables-firewall to close them for
you.  Once the script is installed, I recommend shutdown -r now to come
back up with firewall and ssh protections in force.  Oh, in sshd_config
Protocols 2,1 needs to be changed to protocols 2 just take the ,1 off the
end of that line.  hope this helps.