securety

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Wed Dec 12 03:08:51 UTC 2007

arnos-iptables-firewall is accessible and still under active support.
you can get it with apt-get install arnos-iptables-firewall.  It's pretty
easy to set up too.  It needs to know what you use in terms of an ethernet
port to connect to the internet usually that's eth0 and you protect your
web interface with ppp+ keyed in space separated when asked.  Unless you
have very good reasons to open ports you're asked about after that leave
the defaults in place. The area where I live is under active hacker attack
and my computer was victimized more than once (actually found root kits on
it more than once).  But then again some neighborhoods are hotter for
hackers than others when they have other inviting targets in them.  I had
to upgrade my dsl modem to a westel 327w and got help from another
programmer who came over and set it up and he ran my computer against
http://www.grc.com and the shields up link and found the computer was
truely stealthed which means its profile is too low for hackers to locate.
Each of us will have a different security experience to report over time
though.