for those new to debian systems

Matt Barnes barnes.matt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:45:44 UTC 2007

Another one that I use to list my installed packages is:
dpkg -l * | grep ii | more

It lists all packages, greps out those marked as ii (installed) on the
system, and pipes it to more (screen full at a time). I usually put this in
a shell-script so it can be run at anytime.

Also, depending on your screen reader, I like to use the -q option with
apt-get. It will cause the progress indicators to be silent and cuts out
quite a bit of the spam.