securety

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 12 17:30:49 UTC 2007

Jude,

I don't suppose you would explain how hackers got the root kits installed,
would you? I think it would be helpful if you explained what they did and
what you did to stop them.

I've had only 2 security issues in my career. I can explain how they
happened but they probably won't be real useful. Both problems were on my
Windows machine. One time I installed a virus by accidently clicking on an
email attachment. That was just a accidental key press. The other thing was
that i got malware on my Windows PC  by going to a malicious web site. I was
not running anti-virus software at the time because it slowed the machine
down too much.

So I don't really have any useful advice other than to not accidently press
the wrong key when reading mail and run anti-virus software on your Windows
PC.