orca

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 15 00:10:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Willem van der Walt wrote:
> From your user account, run startx

Hi Willem,

I ran startx just from a normal user account.
I got:
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/daniel/.serverauth.8419
xauth:  /home/daniel/.Xauthority not writable, changes will be ignored
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/daniel/.Xauthority
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/daniel/.Xauthority
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/daniel/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
         If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
         and start again.

Xlib: No protocol specified

giving up.
xinit:  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/daniel/.Xauthority

I think I need to restart gdm for my keyboard to work in the log in screen
in gnome. So I restarted gdm and ran startx again.
I think I got the same message.
I am not logged in to gnome since I can't log in with out speech.

Do I need to set something up?
Like the display?

Thanks for all the help,

--