Emacspeak, Speechd-el, speech dispatcher, and foreign language support

Fernando Botelho Fernando.Botelho at F123.org
Mon Dec 17 17:33:37 UTC 2007

Dear Milan, thank you very much for your message. This is extremely useful.

Best regards,

Fernando

-----Original Message-----
From: Milan Zamazal [mailto:pdm at brailcom.org]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 6:59 AM
To: Fernando.Botelho at F123.org
Cc: Hynek Hanke; blinux-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: Emacspeak, Speechd-el, speech dispatcher, and foreign language
support

Hi,

as for speechd-el:

    FB> My requirements are:

    FB> * The ability to use Emacs very efficiently;

speechd-el is just a speech and braille interface to Emacs, so it's mostly
about whether you can use Emacs itself very efficiently.

    FB> * The ability to work in multiple languages;

speechd-el is designed with this in mind, this is one of its key features.
I'm not sure about special cases like Chinese or right-to-left writing, but
most languages should work fine and support for both manual and automated
language switching is provided in speechd-el.

    FB> * the ability to use free software synthesizers like eSpeak and
    FB> eFlite;

speechd-el uses Speech Dispatcher for its output, so all speech synthesizers
supported by Speech Dispatcher are supported by speechd-el.
All most important free speech synthesizers are supported in Speech
Dispatcher, i.e. Festival, eSpeak, Flite, and Epos (note that EFlite is not
a speech synthesizer, it's just an Emacspeak interface to Flite).

    FB> * The ability to install Emacs and other needed software without
    FB> having to spend weeks or months programming in TCL, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  You can install binary packages from your
OS distribution, can't you?

    FB> Would tools like the G-client designed to work with Google
    FB> properties be no longer usable?

I don't know what G-client is so I can't tell anything about it.

If you have any additional questions about speechd-el, you can ask on the
Speech Dispatcher mailing list: speechd at lists.freebsoft.org (I'm not
subscribed to blinux).

Regards,

Milan Zamazal