console screenreader (using /dev/input and /dev/vcsa)

C.M. Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Fri Dec 28 21:07:10 UTC 2007

Hi list,
I want to write a user-space screenreader for the console.  It would
run as a daemon process.  The program would read screen output from
/dev/vcsa.
Screenreader programs also need to be able to intercept keystrokes,
such as those used for reviewing the screen.  Keyboard events can be
intercepted through the /dev/input/event0 device provided by newer
2.6.x versions of the Linux kernel.  I think it is possible to prevent
applications from receiving the screen review keystrokes using the
EVIOCGRAB ioctl and uinput device.  That is, the screen reader daemon
obtains exclusive access to the stream of keystroke events using
EVIOCGRAB.  Keystrokes that perform review functions are interpreted
by the screenreader, and the remaining keystrokes are forwarded back
to the console using uinput.

Given these two features of the Linux kernel, a user-mode console
screenreader seems viable.
Is anyone else interested in this effort?

Merry Christmas and happy New Year,
-- Chris