Orca on Debian or Fedora?

Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson jbsn at tpg.com.au
Sat Mar 3 09:57:28 UTC 2007

Greetings,

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Anders Holmberg wrote:

> Hello!
> I get really stumped about all distros out there.
> What is what and why?
> A/nders.

There are two major Linux variations - Redhat and Debian. Distributions
such as Fedora and Suse belong to the Redhat family and distributions
such as Ubuntu and Gentoo belong ti the Debian family. I've chosen to use
Debian proper, as opposed to, for example, Ubuntu, because I prefer to use
console-based programs wherever possible and I think that Debian offers me
more options in that respect. However, that's me. The beauty of Linux is
that you have a lot of choices. I suggest that you visit

http://www.linux.org to start with to read about the basics.

Good luck!

Bertil Smark Nilsson