OT: Large files shrinking in Linux?

Wojtek.Pilorz wpilorz at bdk.pl
Tue Mar 6 11:30:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, David Renström wrote:

> Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 17:00:38 +0100
> From: David Renström <david at davidrenstrom.com>
> To: blinux-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: OT: Large files shrinking in Linux?
>
> Hi,
>
> I see that I have a quite old 2.4.26 version of the Linux kernel on
> this computer on which I don't run Linux very often. Are you saying
> that the problem with large files has been fixed in 2.6?

Yes,

I tried ISO image which contained a 3GiB file on Fedora Core 5 linux (kernel
2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 ), mounted as loopback, and entire file could be read as
expected.

On the other hand, mkisofs refused to create image from directory containing a
file with size of about 4.5GiB.

man mount on Fedora Core 5 says, that one option for iso9660 is cruft:

cruft  If  the  high  byte of the file length contains other garbage, set this
       mount option to ignore the high order bits of the file length.  This
       implies that  a  file  cannot  be larger than 16MB.

There is no option 'nocruft' described.
It seems that mount (or iso9660 kernel code?) in your system does not expect
large files on iso9660, considers tham invalid, and tries to 'fix' the size.

Time to upgrade?
(At least if you have enough RAM for current Linux installers, 128MB is no longer enough :-(
, 256 MB should be enough at the moment).

Regards,

Wojtek

> Regards,
> /David R.
> At 13:01 2007-02-27, you wrote:
> >Do you use a recent version of linux kernel?
> >
> >I have seen message on linux-kernel in 2002 describing exactly your
> >problem, but I believe it has been fixed long ago.
> >
> >What
> >cat /proc/version
> >on your system reports?
> >
> >Wojtek
> >

> >On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, David [iso-8859-1] Renström wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:27:23 +0100
> > > From: "David [iso-8859-1] Renström" <david at davidrenstrom.com>
> > > To: blinux-list at redhat.com
> > > Subject: OT: Large files shrinking in Linux?
> > >
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > Excuse me for asking a question which is a little bit off-topic. I
> > > recently wanted to transfer a 2,9 GB file from a DVD+R disc to my
> > > Linux partition. The problem was that the file seemed to be no larger
> > > than about 11 MB! I finally had to boot into DOS, copy the file to a
> > > FAT32 partition and then boot into Linux and move the file to the
> > > Linux partition. Why is this? I mounted the DVD+R as ISO9660, was
> > > this wrong? It appears to have been working before.

This is OK.