servers

marbux marbux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 22:26:36 UTC 2007

On 3/28/07, Kristoffer Gustafsson <kg84 at dreamwld.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I need to know about what servers there are for linux.
> I want to run the following:
>
> internet radio
> e-mail server
> e-mail list server
> ftp server
>
> and http server
>
> What can I use and what documentation shall I read?

I'd suggest that you start with FrozenTech's Live CD list at
<http://www.livecdlist.com/?pick=All&showonly=media%20production>. The
link is for just the multimedia-oriented live CDs. The master list of
live CDs is at <http://www.livecdlist.com/>.

With a Linux live CD, you can boot a functioning Linux system from
your own system without installing it. That makes it very easy to
check out software without making a commitment. You may need to change
your computer's CMOS setting for the device booting order to specify
that the computer first attempts to boot from the CD drive.

Some live CDs allow installation to the hard drive and some do not,
whilst some make it possible but their developers recommend against
it. Those that don't make it easy to install from the CD tend to be
samplers for applications, but include information on how to get the
software installed to the hard drive using normal package
distributions.

Nearly all (all?) Linux distributions are capable of handling the four
types of software you specify. If you're not familiar with the Linux
scene, it might help to know that from my Debian-based distribution, I
can immediately download and install over 20,000 different software
packages from the software repositories I've chosen to specify in my
package manager. All without charge. Accessible software is more
limited, but Linux seems to be where most of the development work for
those with accessibility issues is taking place. So there is more than
a ray of sunshine there.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Marbux