sound question

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Nov 20 15:27:33 UTC 2007

The history of audio on Linux is rathered checkered. Basically, the old
way was to use the OSS audio architecture which provided for only one
sound at a time--as you describe. There are still many programs that
talk OSS, and you can only drive one of these at a time.

You need to be defaulted to ALSA which provides software mixing. All
applications that natively talk ALSA will happily mix through dmix. But,
you can still add only one OSS app to the mix at any time.

What distribution are you using? How this is handled best depends on
this answer.

Janina