installing speakup

Geoff Shang Geoff at quitelikely.com
Mon Nov 12 21:38:25 UTC 2007

Daniel Dalton wrote:

> On 13/11/2007 3:38 AM, John Heim wrote:
>>  Do you require a custom kernel? It would be easier to download a kernel
>>  with speakup already compiled in. You can do that by going to
>
> OK. So I just get the kernel install it with apt and reboot? No messing with
> bootloaders is required?

I think Debian kernel packages are meant to take care of that for you.  But
it probably doesn't hurt to check your bootloader's file
(/boot/grub/menu.lst if using Grub) just to be sure.

>>  http://people.debian.org/~shane/speakup/kernell/.
>
> The link didn't work for me?

The full stop at the  end of the sentence probably messed it up.  Try it
without it.

http://people.debian.org/~shane/speakup/kernel/

Works for me.

> Or could I just download it to my system and install it manually?
> If so how?

Yes, you can do that.

dpkg --install linux-image-2.6.18-4-speakup-686_2.6.18.dfsg.1-12.1_i386.deb

Good luck,
Geoff.