Beginner, soliciting input for where to begin.

Christopher Bartlett bridgeweaver at khanfusion.net
Mon Oct 15 01:37:17 UTC 2007

I have decided it is time I get into the world of Linux.  I've
flirted with the idea for years, but I'm ready to take the plunge at
this point.

I am going to have a dedicated linux machine to work with.  Here are
the considerations I want to take into account, and I am asking for
opinions on which of the several access solutions I should adopt.

First of all, I am reasonably technically literate, and am not afraid
of a learning curve.  When all is said and done, I am looking for
comprehensive access to my system as I intend to learn to be a Linux
power user.  The access solution I adopt must provide comprehensive
coverage of the environment so that I can get in and tweak what I
need to tweak.  I'd prefer a system that provides coverage from boot
up to shutdown, rather than something that I have to start up after
the system boots up.

I am happy learning (or relearning) how to operate in a command-line
environment.  I was a DOS user back in the day, and have actually
used Unix shell accounts, though it has been a long time.

That said, I would like to be able to use a GUI environment to have
access to applications that work under x-windows.  If I can prove to
myself that I don't need this access then so much the better, but I
want to be able to perform word-processing and other office
applications, browse the web and use audio editing/production
software with the same facility that I can under Windows.

I would like to learn how to use virtual machines so that I can run
Windows applications in a native Windows environment rather than
relying on emulation, which I understand isn't perfect.

I want to be able to use software-synthesized speech; I don't own a
hardware synth and I don't want to spend money on one; if I'm going
to buy tech toys they are going to be music production gear.

With all these considerations, what would folk recommend for the
optimal access solution for learning to install, run and work in
Linux?  I am certainly willing to use multiple solutions if they play
well together.

Thank you.

	Christopher Bartlett