dual booting. And what distro should I get?

marbux marbux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 22:18:38 UTC 2007

A caution here. Always install Windows first. Windows has a very aggressive
installer that will trash a previously installed Linux unless you really
know what you're doing. I've even had it happen on a system where I had
Linux and Windows on separate drives. Linux installers, on the other hand,
do no violence to a previously installed Windows.

It's also a very good thing to install Linux as soon as you have your base
install of Windows in, before you begin creating other files. Windows
partitions can become badly fragmented very quickly, and then you risk
overwriting data on the Windows partition when you do your Linux install if
you have to resize the Windows partition to get the job done.

On your question about NTFS, there is FOSS software available now that makes
Linux able to read and write to NTFS partitions and other that allows
Windows to read and write to ext2 or ext3 Linux file systems. I haven't
tried them. Instead I have a FAT32 partition that I use as the data
partition for both operating systems.

Best regards,

Marbux

BUCK "MARBUX" MARTIN
  Director of Legal Affairs
  OpenDocument Foundation
  Contact:
<http://www.opendocumentfoundation.us/contact.htm>
Charter member, Two Guys without a Garage,
<http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/10/cracks-in-foundation.html>
-- Universal Interop Now!