Tip on how to record your sound and a question

Christian christian08 at runbox.com
Thu Aug 21 21:31:52 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I have found a way to record what is coming through my soundcard and I want to make this command a little simpler to type.
This is done with Pulseaudio installed on Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.
In order to get this to work you'll need to have gstreamer-tools installed.
sudo apt-get install gstreamer-tools
Also, there are no line brakes in the example below.
You also need to know your sound cards monitor.
Here is what you type in a terminal:
pactl list | grep monitor
Here is the command I have to type each time I want to record in 44.1 KHz 32-bit wave:
gst-launch pulsesrc
device=alsa_output.usb_device_d8c_c_noserial_if0_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0.monitor ! queue ! audioconvert ! wavenc ! filesink location=out.wav

There are other pipes that you can use as well.
To stop the recording just press ctrl-c.
But, how can i make some kind of shell script or simular that i just type rec or simular and it will do all this for me?
Hope this is useful to someone!
Many thanks,
Christian