Spaces in filenames?

Geoff Shang Geoff at quitelikely.com
Wed Feb 20 21:21:04 UTC 2008

Rob Harris wrote:

> Are spaces allowed in filenames?

Absolutely!

> I shovelled some songs to my web site
> which is running apache and it is giving an error with the link yet the
> names are copied absolutely by a program generating the link list.  Do I
> have to modify all the files names and re-run and indeed re-upload all this
> stuff?

URLs cannot contain spaces.  You either need to replace them with plus
signs (which I hardly ever see anyone do these days), or escape them as %20
(20 hexadecimal = 32 decimal which is the character number of the space
character).  So to post a link to a file called The Beatles - Help.mp3 you
use something like this:

http://yourserver.com/the%20beatles%20-%20help.mp3

If this doesn't answer your question, maybe give us a filename and the URL
for it which doesn't work.

Geoff.