Do any scripts run all the time in debian?

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 24 00:07:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Geoff Shang wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Geoff,

> Sounds like cron is what you need.  Look at the cron(8), crontab(1) and
> crontab(5) man pages.

I think I only have man crontab.
So is that what I should read?

> If you want to use  a personal crontab, you should set the EDITOR environment
> variable with the path to your preferred text editor so it will lload it up
> when you run crontab.  Either run
>
> export EDITOR=emacs

I did that thanks.

> or whatever your prefered editor is, before running crontab, or put the
> command in your .bash_profile:

The export one? ok.

Also do you have a sample crontab file?
Am I just meant to put calls to my scripts in it?
I looked at the man crontab page, but I am not sure about sintax.

Thanks,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/