Playing MIDIfiles under Linux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Feb 27 10:08:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

Yes, please do!  All you have to do is put this in timidity.cfg:

soundfont /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2

At least that's all I needed from the Ubuntu sound font package and
grml.  This is a bug both in the Debian and Ubuntu packages but I
suspect it originates with Debian.  It works fine without freepats and I
created a freepats-dummy package to get around the dependency.  I can
send it to anyone who wants it off list.  It's very small and will
automatically be removed if the real freepats package is installed later.