playing short tune via beep

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 24 20:38:38 UTC 2008

I chose to have the monitoring server  beep because that takes only a kernel
module and the PC speaker to work. It doesn't need a sound card, speakers,
alsa, or a synth. Since this is a monitoring system, reliability is key.

Having the monitoring server calling me via a modem isn't going to be all
that reliable either but I can't come up with a more reliable alternative.
If the network is down, what can a computer do to notify someone? Dial out
via the phone line I guess. That's about it.