speech output

Neil Foster neil.foster2007 at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 14:48:09 UTC 2008

Hi
  I am returning to linux havign lost my sight adn need to get speech
output. The best way seems to be via speakup with a hardware speech synth.
The problems I have are.

1) Can you get external hardware speech synths that wil work vai usb porst
2) does speakup support usb ports?

  I need it to work via usb ports as my laptops only have usb porst. I have
heard that you can get serial port/usb converts usb ports are obviusly fast
enough and capable enough if hardware manufacturers watn to provide the kit
and feel there is a market for it but will this appear as a /dev/tty port
without special drivers?

Not bothered about the speech outptu quality that much . I've used flite on
win xp and assuem its the same on linux beign the same source coes and
although not good its understandalbe which is the point after all.

Thanks

Neil Foster
but am not hat impresed with what the likes of flite output,