Linux without sighted help

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Jan 28 09:16:26 UTC 2008

There are other VMs out there that will work under XP or even Windows 98
but they aren't as stable and are far more difficult to use.  You can
try Bochs http://bochs.sf.net/ or Qemu http://www.qemu.org/  With the
later, there is a free OS zoo with many prebuilt disk images, but they
won't be designed for speech.  I never got my serial port working with
either one so you would be limited to live CD images with software
speech.  Bochs is supposed to emulate serial but I never got it to
work.  Finally, you can look for Microsoft Virtual PC 2005.  It's older
and will expire after a trial period but will work on XP Home.