shutdown vs reboot command

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Jan 31 22:04:16 UTC 2008

> Most of the time when I reboot my system I use
> shutdown now -r instead of just reboot. What do you think?

both should do about the same thing...I believe they're usually
all links to the same underlying executable and that the
executable sniffs what it was executed as to determine proper
behavior.

I'm lazy and "reboot"/"halt" are both faster for me to type and
easier for me to remember, so that's what I use.

If I need more precision for some reason (to shut down at some
time other than now), I fall back to using "shutdown", but most
of the time I just want to reboot/powerdown *right now*.

-tim