vmware

marbux marbux at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 03:08:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:00 PM, John Heim <jheim at math.wisc.edu> wrote:

> I guess my original question was kind of dumb. What I am trying to do is
> install the vmware infrastructure, esx. It boots from a CD like a debian or
> redhat installation. So that's not going to be accessible via speakup.
> Unless the vmware engineers thought to build speakup into their kernel. Not
> too likely.

This may be wide of the mark because I managed to miss the beginning
of this conversation. But here goes anyway. :-)

Have you tried using VirtualBox rather than VMware?
<http://www.virtualbox.org/>. It is far easier to create virtual
machines with VB. Audio works, although it requires a setting
selection in VB to use it. You could run any version of Linux that
works with speak-up as a virtual machine under VB.

I don't know how accessible VB is itself, but I have four variants of
Linux plus Solaris available running as guests on my Windows XP host,
with sound working on all of them. You'd have to comprehend just how
ignorant of virtual machines I was to appreciate the fact that these
are all virtual machines I created myself using VB. On the other hand,
I never succeeded in building a custom virtual machine using VMware.

I am now aiming at  completely redoing my system, running a very small
Linux system as the host rather than WinXP, and virtualizing WinXP
plus a Linux distribution as guests, doing all of my work in virtual
machines rather than on the host system. (It seems to me that the most
stable system should be the host, so I plan not to install any
software to it other than VB.)

For what it is worth, VB is cross-platform and is licensed under the
GPL. My only real criticism of VB so far is that the documentation
needs improvement. The documentation assumes more knowledge of virtual
machines than I had. But the VB community forums have proved to be
very helpful.

It takes an engineer to create a virtual machine with VMware. Joe
Sixpack can do it with VB.

Best regards,

Paul E. Merrell, J.D. (Marbux)

--