U Bantu Software Synthesizer

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Jun 11 16:07:44 UTC 2008

	I have the last oralux distribution installed on a
Dell laptop using the software synthesizer and speakup. I
basically like that part just fine but oralux isn't supported
any more so it is hard to fix anything when necessary.

	I had tried GRML first but there was that horrid
spelling bug caused by speakup and the kernel at odds over who
had priority, at least that's the way I understand it.

	This laptop has just enough horsepower to run the u Bantu
live CD so I may give that a try.

	I have been running  the Dell with the Oralux
distribution for almost a year and it has seemed fairly free of
speech bugs dealing with timing and priority except for one in
which a serial port driver caused it to go in to that spelling
mode worthy of the GRML distribution.

	Does anyone have any comments as to how the speakup
software synthesizer gets along in the u Bantu command line world?

	When I finish installing U Bantu, I will be using it
without X, basically attempting to have a newer and up-gradable
installation

Also, the sound system is, as the British say, dodgy. Sometimes,
it plays MP3's perfectly and then the very next play will sound
terrible as there is a low-frequency interruption of the sound
about 50 or 60 times per second. Not sure what is happening but
it is just as likely to go away for awhile and then come right
back.

	Speakup won't talk when one is playing MP3's and it
won't play MP3's if it was speaking so the sound system
obviously only has one channel.

	I hope newer alsa drivers might work better and possibly
allow recording, something else that doesn't work right for now.

	My receipt of messages from the blinux list seemed to
have stopped for a while so if you saw this message a couple of
days ago, I am sorry for the repeat posting. I never saw the
echo.

	Thanks for your ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer