Braille displays

Tore Johnny Bråtveit tjb at broadpark.no
Mon Mar 24 19:24:29 UTC 2008

Hello Mike and everyone,

Mike, you do not say anything about whether you are thinking of a
portable display or not. If bringing the Braille display along with a
laptop computer is a point - let's say that you are going to have your
Braille display in your office, permanently connected to a desktop
computer - I would definitely say that you should go for a 80 character
display if you can.

I have used Braille displays for about 20 years, and I absolutely feel
more comfortable with the 80 character ones. They give much better
overview of the screen than the shorter, portable ones.

But when it comes to brand and model, it is all about personal
preferences.  You know - the Braille displays all do the same, so it is
simply a question of how you want the keypad layout to be - if you want
to control the movements of the Braille line with your thumbs, and so
on.  I have used several brands through the years, but I now-a-days only
use Braille displays from Handy Tech - namely the Braille Star 40 and
Braille Star 80, and even a Handy Tech Modular 84.

I used to have Alva Braille displays, but I dropped them after they
introduced their Satellite series.  I simply did not like them.  Others
have other opinions about these display.

Again, it is a question of personal preferences, first and foremost.
Best of all would be if you could get a chance to look at various
displays yourself.

Tore Johnny