systematic backups in Linux?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri May 2 10:12:13 UTC 2008

Karen Lewellen wrote:
> the ftp idea has to do with shellworld, but I am sure other
> alternatives will work.
Hi,

I would be very surprised if rsync isn't installed.  Try "rsync" from a
command line and see.  If it doesn't work, I think it's fairly painless
to compile.  In my opinion, rsync is one of those tools that you really
can't live without.

> would I require dsl to run this option?

What do you mean by require?  If you mean that, as you said, you have so
many files that it would take an eternity to backup otherwise, I guess
so.  If you're referring to a way of making incremental backups or only
backing up file differences, I don't see why.  Initially you might
because of the volume of data you're moving, but once it's all copied, I
would think not.  Obviously text files are easier to compress and backup
than binaries, but rsync will only transfer the differences, so other
than the initial backup, I would think dial-up would be fine.  How much
space are we talking about here?  If you have 1 GB of files or some huge
amount, dial-up is out of the question even with ftp.  If you have less,
rsync would probably work.  You can stop it at any time and it will
resume where it left off which I don't think ftp will do, at least not
easily.