Getting started with Linux

Stephen Clower steve at steve-audio.net
Fri Oct 24 20:04:13 UTC 2008

krishnakant Mane wrote:
> I use only ubuntu for my daily work and I am a busy IT consultent so I
> can't sacrify work at the cost of non functional free software.
> So the point is that since ubuntu 8.04 in particular I find no reason
> i should tell people to still use windows.  I find no reason why
> people should not migrate to the world of technology freedom with
> linux.

While a commendable goal, the graphical Linux desktop still has a ways
to go before I am comfortable enough to switch to it on a full-time
basis. Radical software mind-sets aside, I have found Window-Eyes on top
of a nicely tuned XP system to be considerably more responsive than
Gnome and Orca. I'll admit that sound card/speech synthesizer
preferences would likely need adjusting, but the basic computer user
should not have to tweak these settings just to have responsive speech.

Additionally, we have access to the more common tools, E.G. web browser,
word processor, E-mail, and so on with both platforms; although I have
yet to find a commercial-grade multitracking editor that supports ASIO,
VST effects, and is accessible inside GNOME. Until this last fact
changes, switching to Gnome full-time would limit me a great deal in
terms of how I want to use my computer for both work and leisure.

I am not a slave to my operating system or assistive tech, and neither
will I deny the obvious fact that Linux accessibility is superior in
many respects to that of Windows. Gnome and orca have really come a long
way over the past few years, and I sincerely hope work will continue to
improve application accessibility where possible. For now, I love the
philosophy behind GNU/Linux, but the presently accessible applications
(or lack thereof) in the graphical environment leave me no choice but to
stick with Windows for most of my work. I am very glad that we have
compelling choices on all major platforms, and competition between them
all can only benefit everybody involved. Perhaps one day in the not so
distant future, even I may have what I need to switch to Linux
permanently; with open-source software, anything is possible.

Regards,
Steve