printing signs on the command line

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Aug 2 09:23:08 UTC 2009

I've been doing some reading on a2ps and found in /etc/a2ps.cfg a user
option for lp which is intended to provide services for line printers of
which this Panasonic KX-P1123 decidedly is.  So I put the parameters for
the lp command into a script file with a2ps and figure to run it and see
if it wastes paper again.  I need to find some way to tell a2ps it doesn't
have a laser or other exotic printer to use permanently.  Maybe I can put
that into .a2psrc I have to read up on that and find out.  The a2ps filter
wastes lots of paper and lpr and lp when I cat a file to them with a pipe
seem to do better in terms of that but they don't print completely
correctly.  Lots of characters stripped out and some ascii getting
through.