OS and bootable pen drive?

Rob Harris robh at apearl.net
Fri Feb 6 18:17:30 UTC 2009

Forgive the passing of this round a bit, but I would appreciate a broad
spread of opinion on the range of matters.

Background:  I just got one of the new baby Acer Aspire 1 netbooks.  I know
they can come supplied with XP Home,  but this one is Limpus,  which is a
variation, a smallware version of Linux.

Questions:

1, does anyone know anything about this version of Linux to know if it would
take many or any of the speech screen reader solutions  for more main stream
Linux?

2, could someone list the various mainstream  speech screen reader solutions
for Linux these days, the environments they give access to and their system
or peripheral requirements?

3, Does anyone know how to make bootable pen drives?  modern BIOS's do
support this, I know this Acer does;  ditto SD cards.

4, can XP home still be obtained reasonably easily and have that  put on to
a bootable pen drive;  could Win2k be obtained and put that on a bootable
pen drive instead as it would have a smaller system and memory footprint
making it a better match for this cutDown system.

5, Has anyone else had one of these netbooks? which version and how best did
they update or modify it.

Mine is still in the box after a week while I ponder which way to jump with
it;  try and stay Linux or change to Windows.

Thanks all,  RobH.

Random expressions: http://randex.apearl.net
Humour, serious, tools.