Cross-platform braille rpinting?

Mario Lang mlang at teleweb.at
Mon Feb 16 15:45:22 UTC 2009

Hi.

As soneone who last time used a real-world braille printer
approximately ten years ago under DOS, I find myself in need to
write code to print braille on different platforms (Linux, Windows, possibly MacOSX).

Is anyone here familiar with the details of how the text stream sent
to the printer needs to be formatted?  How, for instance, are
pagebreaks indicated?  In UNIX, I am used to ASCII character 12,
but given the CRLF/LF Windows/UNIX linefeed differences, I am guessing
it isn't that simple.  What do commonly used braille rpinters expect?

Additionally, what braille mapping do they expect?  Since I am
printing dot patterns, it is very important that what I send
is what ends up on paper in dots.  I guess I am asking too
much from nowadays braille printers to understand unicode braille?
If so, what mappings are typically configurable on a braille printer,
and what is the default, if any?

Thanks for every help you can give me
--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'