New here, with questions

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Wed Sep 2 12:02:41 UTC 2009

Good day,
You will be able to use Linux with speech on the EEE_PC, but not with the
default Linux with which it comes.
It is possible to install Ubuntu or many of the other Linuxes on the
netbook either by using an external usb cdrom or a usb stick with an
installabloe Linux on it.
My eee pc 701 came with Zandrows.  I am now running Ubuntu on it.  The
netbook is not as powerful as a modern computer, so unless you can upgrade
the ram to 2 gb or so, you would only be able to run text-based
applications effectively on it.
If you upgrade the ram to 2 gb, you can actually run both
text-based/console-based programs using  a screenreader like speakup, and
some graphical applications using the Orca screenreader under Gnome.
The eee pc does not really have a hard disk, but rather a flash disk of 4
gb.  it is suppose to use less power and be better for a moving device
than a hard drive.
The eee pc also has a card slot where you can put in an sd card for extra
storage.  I have one eee pc here where I installed ubuntu on a combination
of the built-in flash disk, in this case 2 gb, and a sd card of 4 gb.
You can hook up an external usb hard disk to the eee for lots of extra
storage.
HTH, Willem