Looking for a CD Burner in Debian

Christopher Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Fri Dec 3 18:13:43 UTC 2010

Geoff Shang <geoff at quitelikely.com> writes:

> I've never used wodim, but all other CD writers I've used (cdrdao,
> cdrecord) can take wav files without converting them to CDR first.
> They probably have to be at 44.1 kHz stereo though.

wodim is basically a fork of cdrecord.  The Debian people forked it for
licensing reasons.  On many distributions, it's the default CD-burning
utility.  cdrecord may even be a symlink pointing to it.  This is the
case on ArchLinux; I'm not sure about others.

Here's what the man page says about acceptable audio data:

<quote>
-audio

If this flag is present, all subsequent tracks are written in CD-DA (similar to
Red Book) audio format. The file with data for this tracks should contain
stereo, 16-bit digital audio with 44100 samples/s.
The byte order should be the following:
MSB left, LSB left, MSB right, LSB right, MSB left and so on.
The track should be a multiple of 2352 bytes.
It is not possible to put the master image of an audio track on a raw disk
because data will be read in multiple of 2352 bytes during the recording process.

If a filename ends in .au or .wav the file is considered to be a structured
audio data file. wodim assumes that the file in this case is a Sun audio file
or a Microsoft .WAV file and extracts the audio data from the files by skipping
over the non-audio header information.
In all other cases, wodim will only work correctly if the audio data stream
does not have any header. Because many structured audio files do not have an
integral number of blocks (1/75th second) in length,
it is often necessary to specify the -pad option as well.
wodim recognizes that audio data in a .WAV file is stored in Intel
(little-endian) byte order, and will automatically byte-swap the data if the CD
recorder requires big-endian data. wodim will reject any audio file that does
not match the Red Book requirements of 16-bit stereo samples in PCM coding at
44100 samples/second.

Using other structured audio data formats as input to wodim will usually work
if the structure of the data is the structure described above (raw pcm data in
big-endian byte order). However, if the data format includes a header,
you will hear a click at the start of a track.
</quote>

IMO, it's easier to just use sox myfile -t cdr myfile.cdr to convert
everything, since I can be sure that myfile.cdr will be acceptable.

-- Chris