Problem with Media Files in Windows

RiverWind riverwind at shellworld.net
Tue Dec 28 01:19:14 UTC 2010

I find myself facing a most perplexing problem, an anomaly for
which I can not find a solution. I generally use the windows
portion of the Debian system when playing media files, which mostly
consists of audio books and radio stations. The system I am running
roughly dates back to October of two-thousand and nine. Everything
was working just fine until I installed sox with the "aptitude
install sox -r" command. The installation seemed to have been
successful, so I downloaded the manual and prepared to learn how to
use the sox utility.

I later tried to listen to an audio book, only to discover that the
sound portion of my system no longer functioned. When ever I
clicked on the book file, which is in zip format, I got the
following error message:

"Couldn't display "American Gods Part1.zip""

American Gods part1 of course being the name of the file. Last week
I ran an upgrade, audoclean and another function that caused the
exact same problem. My system however, seemed to function perfectly
aside from the problem I am describing. In fact, I received the
same error message then that I received today when ever I attempted
to click on a file for listening purposes. Moreover, I am no longer
able to listen to radio stations whilst in the windows section of
my system.

I can however, listen to a radio station by running a script that
a friend helped me write. In order to fix this problem the first
time, I had to have my technical support fellow reinstall the
entire system from the CD. There has got to be a better way to
correct this problem than reinstalling the system every time
something of this nature happens. However, if such a solution
exists, neither myself nor anyone of my acquaintance can discover
or create it.

I am in the process of learning Linux, so I can most likely expect
lots of similar problems to crop up in the very near future. Any
help that any of you can provide would be most sincerely
appreciated.

Ray

Feel free to visit my website and my blog and learn more about me
and what I stand for.
My Website @ http://riverwind.shellworld.net
My Blog http://windraven13.livejournal.com/