Linux GUI FAQ/tutorial?

trev.saunders at gmail.com trev.saunders at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 11:13:48 UTC 2010

> Hi Dan,
>
> > Use speakup if you will be using the command line heavily -- I believe
> > it comes with vinux, but if not you'll have to install the modules
> > yourself. (I don't use vinux.)
>
> Do you know if Speakup works with a software synthesizer?

yes, it works very well with espeak, and can support other software synths through speech-dispatcher.

> > - install MySQL, Apache2, Perl, and use cpan for compiling and
> > installing some perl modules;
>
> > Apt can install most if not all of these.
>
> I can compile them, no problem, but I would like to be able to read the
> console for seeing at least the last screen displayed, for viewing errors...
> but I guess Speakup can do this.

unless you have a very good reason use the packagemanager.  The packagemanager will deal with the dependencies for you, and will generally make your life a lot easier.  If you really want to control compile options and compile from source you might want to look into gentoo.  But yes speakup is a good console screen reader, and compiling will be possible if necessary.