How do blind people play games?

Rudy Vener salt at panix.com
Mon Jul 5 17:11:39 UTC 2010

I run Vocal Eyes under DOS on a separate PC.

I then use that PC as a stand alone talking vt-100 terminal
that I can connect to a headless linux box.

The DOS machine can be any old low end  PC.
Install vocal eyes and telix and you are ready to roll.
The hardest part may be finding a real RS-232 serial port card
that you can plug into a modern PC. but they are around.

I prefer this interface because it gives me a familiar
environment on any local or remote Linux or Unix
machine.

This leaves me free to do my work, instead of potchkeying
around with interfaces and environments.

Of course, I pay the price as the world moves onwards with
ever more esoteric  GUI applications,  and obscure layers to keep
the user away from any real data. Such as the URL of an audio
stream which can be called  by mplayer.

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 09:09:11AM -0700, Hart Larry wrote:
> Well, Rudy, are you running Vocal-Eyes in Linux or DOS E M U?  When I
> tried under DOSemu  my current Dec-Talk U S B does not seem to support
> Vocal-Eyes--and-since it has an exception dictionary, I would love to
> try.
> Thanks in advance
> Hart

Rudy Vener, Owner and founder
Pizza Galaxy - Online ordering and Email marketing for
independent restaurants.
Phone: (203) 230-9662
Website: http://www.pizzagalaxy.com

Restaurant owners, boost your sales with new
customers, more visits and increased ticket size with
Pizza Galaxy's Online Ordering and E-mail Marketing.
Get our free report: The Top 7 Ways for Restaurants to get
Customers Online. Go to
http://www.pizzagalaxy.com/top7ways.html
to get your free copy.

see for yourself  how customers hear about restaurant online
ordering by following us on  Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/pizzagalaxy