sign printing with linux

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat May 1 03:58:35 UTC 2010

Earlier I was having a problem where when printing only parts of letters
would print out.  It turns out the printer is fine and what I had was a
cups configuration problem which I solved using lpoptions.  Cups by
default prints to a4 type paper but that paper isn't used in the United
States and printers are actually sold to meet the Letter or US Letter
standard.  Once I configured cups to send stuff to the printer in Letter
format the letters suddenly got much more legible.  I saved that command
along with the command to enable a printer queue to a script file I'll be
able to use to reconfigure as necessary too.  I also changed the printer
resolution from 60x60DPI to 60x72DPI and that improved the print quality
some too.  With the Panasonic KX-P1123 you can set the paper type and the
resolution with cups.  I can probably embed printer escape codes in files
and get finer control too but haven't yet gotten around to that.  Some of
those resolution combinations are strange but none of them are identified
by letter quality or near letter quality.