University Radio Software

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 08:57:30 UTC 2010

well,
unless you have a tactile template for that touchscreen (or some verbal feedback of what is under your finger when you contact the screen) you are out of luck.

as for speech packages for linux, they are free. there is orca (which is designed to work under gnome). in fact, there several distributions designed for the blind in mind.

command line interfaces are probably the easiest to work in for the blind (I should know, I am and I do).
A google search will turn up a large number of hits for the search term "linux for the blind". I hate to have to point you there, but as I have learned, google is your friend.

as for supporting a doubletalk LT Synthesizer? I think there may be support for most of the older speech and braille hardware even in most modern distributions. I haven't run across that specific unit in almost a decade. these days, speech synthesis can be done with an ordinary dsp sound card.

I would check here first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_screen_readers

-Eric