How can I have ripped CD tracks labeled automatically?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Tue Apr 19 17:38:15 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

Presumably I'm being a lazy bum and should just look it up myself, but while
I'm doing so I thought I would encroach upon you all and see if I'm
basically heading the wrong direction.

In Windows I can stick in a CD, Media Player will start, and I can tell it
to copy to the library. Usually it shows up with all the tracks labeled and
grouped according to the album name.

How can I do this in Linux?

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04.4 in text mode. I've been looking at the man for
icedax and thus far have the command:

icedax -B (bulk) -L0 (CDDB mode) -G (detect mono samples) -D /dev/cdrom

and sometimes -e (echo)

This puts each track in a separate file with a paired info (index? I'm not
at home now) which presumably contains the name and artist etc. I could
rename them all by hand but even that wouldn't make it show up in mplayer
while the track is playing. Note that cdda2wav just points to icedax. I've
seen mention of wodim but haven't had a chance to investigate it yet.

Any better ideas? Thanks in advance for your help,

--
Lee Maschmeyer
Wayne State University Computing Center