openssl help needed

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Wed Feb 16 10:22:57 UTC 2011

I'd like to find out how to do two things with openssl. First download a
ca-certificate from the internet given an address is known for it. Second,
find out from ssl the address for the root signing certificate that signed
the first certificate I just downloaded so I can download that root
certificate as well. I don't have the Microsoft ca-certificate or its root
signing certificate on my system and need both if I'm to get fetchmail to
download my email from msn.com and be able to process it. I did manage to
get nmh working on this system and figure that's a security improvement
over any mbox reader since each email is in its own file.  Doing clamscan
on those files can then pick out the ones with malware in them and those
can be deleted without the necessity of loosing the rest of my email.
With mbox, when clamscan finds one or more pieces of malware in that file,
it marks it all bad.