manuals, tutorials and other user's guides needed

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Jan 7 08:44:28 UTC 2011

RiverWind <riverwind at shellworld.net> wrote:

> I am writing to obtain an idea of where I might find manuals and/or
> user's guides for the primary gnome packages. I am referring to
> such utilities as Brazaro and serpentine CD burners, ISO creators,
> video and Audio packages and file management applications. I am a
> novice linux user who is in the process of becoming proficient with
> both the commandline and graphical aspects of Linux, the Debian
> system in particular.

ONe document that I would recommend reading is the Gnome Accessibility Guide,
particularly the section devoted to keyboard interaction. The table of
contents is here:
http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-access-guide/stable/

To learn the shell and basic utilities, I would recommend this book (available
as a PDF file, which can easily be converted to text if you have access
needs):
http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

And an out of date but still useful source:
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

O'Reilly Media have published a variety of excellent books, many of which are
available to people with print disabilities with the permission of the
publisher. See http://www.bookshare.org/

As starting points I would recommend UNIX Power Tools, 3rd ed., and Essential
System Administration, 3rd ed. The former is not an introductory text, but
it's extremely useful once you've learned the basics. The latter is the best
book on system administration that I have found in an accessible format.