debian vs vinux?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Thu Jun 2 23:36:26 UTC 2011

Hi all,
normally I denote like such discussions, but I have a specific reason for
asking.
I have an IBM thinkpad 560f or so that I am wanting to convert to Linux.
it is my dos laptop right now, but I am about to upgrade to thinkpad 600x
for that purpose.
Everything I read about debian motivates me in that direction,  but I am
not sure which flavor is best for such a machine.  it has a fine external
9 pin port for a synthesizer, so I should? be fine on that front.
Still there is all this buzz about vinux so I thought I would get
advantages and disadvantages.  I admit the discussion on the speakup list
about a bug in the source distro for vinux has me wanting to skip
this...along with that distro being best for the windows minded smiles.
Thoughts on my goals?
Karen